Recycling Facts – Importance to People and the Environment
Global warming, calamities and other environmental hazards are just some of the negative experiences that people encounter. In fact, these are effects of the lack of dissemination about recycling facts. When people do not perform recycling, the tendency is for them to consume more products that are harmful to the environment. Some of these products include Styrofoam, plastic cups, plastic bottles, and other non-biodegradable materials.
The Basics of Recycling
In order to fight the battle against global warming, different recycling facts are being taught to people in schools, offices, workplace, and in different crowded areas. The idea of recycling is very easy; however, it is always a question why do we recycle. Government agencies and private organizations continuously find ways on how can we recycle without exerting much effort and getting more benefits.
For those, who are interested in recycling, here are some practical tips that can be done, which have a big impact to the environment:
- One of the common recycling facts is the use of plastics and other non-biodegradable products. The world is filled with trash due to the use of materials that are not environment-friendly. If it is inevitable to use plastics, dispose them properly or re-use them instead of throwing.
- There is a wide coverage on recycling facts and it also covers the use of paper instead of plastic. As mentioned, plastic is non-biodegradable and one good alternative is paper. Instead of plastic bags, it is best to use paper bags since this material is earth-friendly.
- Even glasses can be recycled according to color and this is preferred by most recycling centers. Things like Pyrex, light bulbs, mirrors, and sheet glasses should be separated since they are not accepted by recycling centers, so it is best to re-use or dispose them properly.
- Containers made of tin cans are flattened first before they can be recycled. For foil packaging and aluminum foils, they are processed into aluminum mechanical components such as engine parts.
- With regards to electronic devices, some recycling facts indicate that they should be properly disposed. The idea of disposal would mean donating it to charity, sending it to companies that perform refurbishing, or selling it to companies that recycle it.
Different Recycling Facts
Recycling is being promoted not only in United States, but also in different parts of the world. Aside from the purposes of recycling, authorities and experts also explain the manner on how do we recycle. Some people still cannot see the good effects of recycling, that is why information dissemination is intensively done to bring the good news to people.
Here are some of the recycling facts that all people should be aware of:
- In United States alone, every person can accumulate 4.7 pounds of waste each day. If this is to be multiplied for 30 days, that will be 141 pounds every month.
- A ton of mixed paper that is recycled can save an energy that is equal to 185 gallons of gasoline. If we continue to recycle paper, bigger volume of gasoline will be saved and preserved.
- Aluminum cans are also being recyclable and every ton of it is equivalent to over 1600 gallons of gasoline.
- Recycling can be fun and there are creative ways on how to do it. Instead of using gift wrappers and plastic bags, make use of recyclable bags sold in department stores. Aside from saving the environment, it becomes a fashionable bag that can be brought everywhere.
- To save money from buying air fresheners for your home, make use of peels from fruits that give fresh scents such as grapefruit, oranges, and lime. This is highly recommended because dried fruit peels are biodegradable.
- If you are fond of buying plastic containers, do not dispose them after use. Instead, use them to store old toys, screws, tools, and other small stuff to prevent them from lost.
- If you have unused plastic cups, cardboard, utensils, or toilet paper rolls, you can use them for any handicraft projects. Part of the recycling is to teach children to come up with something out of scrap.
Additional Points on Recycling Efforts
Recycling should start from your own home. Before aiming for a big target, start from small goals that can be achieved easily. At home, recycling should be taught to children and other members of the family. With combined efforts, recycling will surely become successful.
At first, recycling may take extra time and effort. However, as you get used to it, you will find it very rewarding and interesting. Every container that is made of plastic, paper, or glass has a second use and you will soon realize how beneficial this can be.
If every individual will do a part in recycling, this place will be a better place to live in. This means that there will be no more global warming, calamities, and catastrophes that will be experienced by humans. Above all, we have useful recycling facts to help us.
If you wish to find some recycling centers near you Earth911 is the answer.